Have you ever found it hard to make a change? You really want to do something, but you just can’t get around to actually taking the first step? You know it’s what you need but you’re frozen.
This is what I call “The Big Freeze.”
It’s a phenomenon I see happen in many people, myself included.
Have you ever thought about applying for a new job or promotion – and then talked yourself out of it – and missed the deadline?
Have you ever looked at booking a trip? Or signing up for a half marathon? Then you talked yourself out of it. You missed the deal. Or missed the training cut-off.
Then, a few days later, weeks, months – you start to regret it. We know our biggest regrets are the chances NOT taken. You’re a heck of a lot more likely to regret what you haven’t done – than you are regret something you tried and maybe didn’t quite succeed at.
This experience is “The Big Freeze”.
For those of you who are visual learners, I created this quick little video here for you: Check it out to find out how to get over the challenge of change.
If you’re a reader, keep reading.
“The Big Freeze” happens before any big decision.
It happens before we change something in our lives. There’s an evolutionary reason for it and it’s proven in neuroscience.
The big freeze happens because the change is new and our brains want us to stay safe - and “safe” is code for“staying the same.”
Our brains work hard to keep us safe, and in our comfort zone so we talk ourselves out of it making a change.
“I’ll never get that job.”
“I’ll sign up for that membership next New Years'.”
“I don’t have the time right now.” “I don’t have the money right now.”
“This won’t work. l’ll never be able to actually to do a triathlon/speak Italian/cook Japanese.”
“I can probably find it cheaper somewhere else”.
Or maybe you overanalyze it. “I should make sure it’s the absolute BEST gym/program/training/job/boyfriend/girlfriend I can get as proven with my 10 point rating system that integrates with seamlessly with the scientifically developed spreadsheet” (yup, I’m guilty of this!).
These are the thoughts that go through our heads. (Doesn’t it feel good to know you’re not alone?!)
I’m sharing this with you because I’ve done it. And I see it all the time. I also want to challenge you to find out where you’re frozen.
In my business, a lot of people message me and tell me they’ve been thinking about reaching out for months but for whatever reason, don’t. Maybe this is you too. If you’ve been thinking about finding out more about coaching and having a free discovery session with me – and you’re talking yourself out of it – you’re stuck in the “big freeze.”
(Click here to change that and book your complimentary Discovery Call)
Maybe you’re frozen before deciding to try coaching. Or maybe you’re putting off applying for a new job. Maybe you’re frozen trying to decide when you should start a business, sign up for a conference, or a triathlon.
Whatever it is, it’s time to thaw out, and just do it!
Now that you know “the big freeze” exists, you can watch for it.
If you’re in it, know that it’s normal.
So, before you make a change:
1) Listen for the ways your brain is trying to talk you out of making a change. Guaranteed, you will hear patterns with every decision – and soon it’ll be easy to ignore. Maybe you always tell yourself you can’t afford it. Maybe you always tell yourself you’re not good enough. Once you spot the pattern, you can recognize it for what it is.
2) Pull out the logic card. Ask yourself… “really?” “Is there ZERO chance I get the job?” Obviously not. Or “do I really not have any time? Is there not an hour a week I can get off Facebook/TV/US election drama that I can’t dedicate to training for something, or learning something new?” I think we all know the answer to that.
3) Dig deep into WHY it’s important to you. Talk about all the reasons why it’s going to be great for you. Research the benefits of what you’re going to change. Call your cheerleadiest-of-cheerleaders friend to talk it out. Make a list of the top 10 reasons why it’s a great idea. Or just have a few glasses of wine and hit “sign up” (which is what I did when I first joined belly-dancing).
1) Listen for the patterns of how your mind tricks you into freezing.
2) Pull out the logic card and prove yourself wrong.
3) Build energy and excitement in yourself so you can unfreeze and
JUST DO IT!
As always, I love hearing from you! I’d love to hear about a time you’ve been frozen in the past – or something you overcome after reading or watching the video! Feel free to share with a friend too!
Also, I want to give a shout-out to my coach Fyfe, today, who helped me get over my own “freezing” over what to share next with you guys!
Your best life is one change away.
PS. If you’ve been hesitating learning more about coaching, it’s time to thaw out and just do it. It’s time to stop playing it safe. I don’t want you to settle because you know that the best life happens when you’re outside of your comfort zone. Get in touch for a free Discovery Session to see if coaching is right for you.